Saturday, November 7, 2015

Yoga for Stress Reduction

As I lay in shavasana for my 4th time this week, I reflected on how much more relaxed and calm I felt despite all I had to do later that day.  I know, I know you're supposed to clear your mind and be "in the moment" but for me, THAT was the moment.  I was enjoying the calmness, reveling in it actually.  And for me, that, like always, is profound.

Yoga has been traced to antiquity perhaps beginning as early as the sixth century B.C.  Translated from the Sanskrit word, yoga means union-of body/mind/spirit.  It has been found to improve not only the perception of stress but its physiological impact on the autonomic nervous system, endocrine system, and the immune system.  All of which, over time, can lead to disease, illness, and potentially death.  In our extremely busy society, it is vital that we find healthy ways to reduce stress.  As a modality of complimentary alternative medicine, yoga has few side effects, is low-cost, and can be done most anywhere by anyone regardless of physical abilities or age.  It can lower healthcare utilization and hence cost.  Yoga also acts as a component of self-care wherein people can take a more active role in their own health and well-being instead of being an inactive participant with interventions given to them in the way of tests, medications, or therapies. 


I would recommend going to a yoga studio instead of taking a class at the local gym where often the focus is on the body only.  Getting back to the true meaning of yoga - union of body/mind/spirit.  To fully enjoy all of it's benefits, a yoga studio where that's all they offer, will provide a more in-depth approach.  Choices range from gentle, therapeutic, restorative to very high energy.  Start slow, advancing as you are able.  It was life changing for me and hopefully will be for you as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment